One of the greatest achievements in the history of architecture, Chartres Cathedral is almost perfectly preserved in its original Gothic design, from its lively portal sculptures to its glowing stained glass.
- Schutz, Bernhard. Great Cathedrals. Harry N. Abrams, 2002, pp. 80-95.
- Minne-Seve, Viviane and Viviane Minne-Seve and Herve Kergall. Romanesque and Gothic France: Art and Architecture. Harry N. Abrams, 2000, pp. 230-39.
- Markale, Jean. Cathedral of the Black Madonna: The Druids and the Mysteries of Chartres. Inner Traditions, 2004.
- Ball, Philip. Universe of Stone: A Biography of Chartres Cathedral. Harper, 2008.
- Ball, Philip. Universe of Stone: Chartres Cathedral and the Invention of the Gothic. Harper Perennial, 2009.
- Burckhardt, Titus and John W. James (foreword). Chartres and the Birth of the Cathedral. .
- Branner, Robert (ed.). Chartres Cathedral . W. W. Norton & Company, 1996.
- Miller, Malcolm. Chartres Cathedral. Riverside Book Co, 1997.
- Fassler, Margot E.. The Virgin of Chartres: Making History through Liturgy and the Arts. .
- James, John. The Master Masons of Chartres. .