The Almshouse, Thame

Almshouse, converted to 4 dwellings. c.1555 for Lord Williams of Thame, C19 alterations. Large timber-framing, with tension braces to first floor, having painted brick infill; old plain-tile roof; brick ridge stacks to left of centre, and to centre.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
360037
Names
The Almshouse
Coordinates
51.7497120° N, 0.9823810° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of The Almshouse, Thame
Location map of The Almshouse, Thame. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of The Almshouse, Thame
Aerial view of The Almshouse, Thame. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

24 Apr 1951

The Almshouse designated a Grade II listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

The Almshouse is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1047958
Grade
II
Name
THE ALMSHOUSE
Location
THE ALMSHOUSE, 69, HIGH STREET
Parish
Thame
District
South Oxfordshire
County
Oxfordshire
Grid Reference
SP 70346 06158

THAME HIGH STREET SP7006SW (North-east side) 8/81 No.69 (The Almshouse) 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as No.69 (The Almshouses))

GV II

Almshouse, converted to 4 dwellings. c.1555 for Lord Williams of Thame, C19 alterations. Large timber-framing, with tension braces to first floor, having painted brick infill; old plain-tile roof; brick ridge stacks to left of centre, and to centre. 2-storey, 7-window range at right angles to street. Ribbed doors to left and right with C19 open porches. C20 sash door to left of centre. Plank door to right of centre. 3-light wood casements to ground and first floor right and right of centre. Perpendicular lancets to ground and first floor left. 2-light wood casement to ground floor left of centre. 4-light casement to ground floor centre. 2 gabled half-dormers to left of centre having 3-light wood mullion and transom windows. Rear, to Church Road: two 2-light casements to ground floor right; single-light casements to first floor, except 2-light casement to right. Left return, to High Street: plank door to right. C19 bay window to left with wood mullion and transom windows. Jetty to first floor. Wood oriel bay window to first floor centre having wood mullion and trnasom windows, hipped plain-tile roof. Queen post roof truss to gable. C19 shaped bargeboards to gable. Interior not inspected. History: the Almshouse was founded by Lord Williams of Thame. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.815).

Listing NGR: SP7034606158

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “THE ALMSHOUSE.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1047958>