Master's Court

Grammar school, now offices. Dated 1569 to inscribed stone panel to central cross-gable. Rendered stone plinth; uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar stone dressings; C20 plain-tile roof; stone end stacks with brick diagonally-set flues.

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
498454
Names
Master's Court
Coordinates
51.7500040° N, 0.9818530° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Master's Court
Location map of Master's Court. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Master's Court
Aerial view of Master's Court. Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

24 Apr 1951

Master's Court designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Master's Court is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1194095
Grade
II*
Name
MASTER'S COURT
Location
MASTER'S COURT, CHURCH ROAD
Parish
Thame
District
South Oxfordshire
County
Oxfordshire
Grid Reference
SP 70382 06191

THAME CHURCH ROAD SP7006SW (East side) 8/33 Master's Court 24/04/51 (Formerly listed as No.14 (Lord Williams' Grammar School)

GV II*

Grammar school, now offices. Dated 1569 to inscribed stone panel to central cross-gable. Rendered stone plinth; uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar stone dressings; C20 plain-tile roof; stone end stacks with brick diagonally-set flues. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range: 1:3:1. Ribbed and studded door to central Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered surround and hood mould. 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to ground floor except C19 angled bay window, with stone hipped roof, to left, having stone mullion windows. Panel with armorial crest of Lord Williams of Thame above door. 3-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to first floor left, centre, and right. 2-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and metal casements to left and right of centre. Parapetted cross-gable to entry with 4-light stone mullion window with hood mould and metal casement. Mid C19 gabled full dormers to left and right with 2-light stone mullion windows. Interior: mid C16 stone fireplaces to most rooms. C20 staircase from ground floor to attic. Queen post roofs. History: school founded by Lord Williams of Thame in 1558. C20 additions to rear are not of special architectural interest. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.814).

Listing NGR: SP7038206191

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “MASTER'S COURT.” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1194095>