Dulverton House (Kings School)

Infirmary's Lodging, now independent school house, part of the King's School. The core of the house probably the Infirmarer's Lodging attached to the Infirmary of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, with some remains of the infirmary chapel of St Bridget; after 1540 remodelled and enlarged as the cathedral's prebendal house assigned to the prebendary of the third stall. C13 and late C14 with C17 and C18 additions and alterations, substantially remodelled in C19 (mainly c1860's).

Quick Facts

Go Historic ID
547346
Names
Dulverton House (Kings School)
Coordinates
51.8679460° N, 2.2458150° W
view on Go Historic map
view on Google Maps
Listed on
Grade II* listed building
listed building (England)

Location Map

Aerial view of Dulverton House (Kings School)
Location map of Dulverton House (Kings School). Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Aerial View

Aerial view of Dulverton House (Kings School)
Aerial view of Dulverton House (Kings School). Click image for a larger, interactive view.

Timeline

23 Jan 1952

Dulverton House (Kings School) designated a Grade II* listed building

National Heritage List for England Data

Dulverton House (Kings School) is listed on the National Heritage List for England with the following data. Some information may have become outdated since the date of listing. Text courtesy of Historic England. © Crown Copyright, reprinted under the Open Government License.

List Entry ID
1245957
Grade
II*
Name
DULVERTON HOUSE (KINGS SCHOOL)
Location
DULVERTON HOUSE (KINGS SCHOOL), CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
District
Gloucester
County
Gloucestershire
Grid Reference
SO 83170 18847

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS 844-1/8/51 Dulverton House (King's School) 23/01/52 (Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS 'The Cloisters' (Dulverton House))

GV II*

Infirmary's Lodging, now independent school house, part of the King's School. The core of the house probably the Infirmarer's Lodging attached to the Infirmary of the Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, with some remains of the infirmary chapel of St Bridget; after 1540 remodelled and enlarged as the cathedral's prebendal house assigned to the prebendary of the third stall. C13 and late C14 with C17 and C18 additions and alterations, substantially remodelled in C19 (mainly c1860's). Rubble with ashlar details, timber-framing, brick, render, tiled roofs with coped gables, hipped dormers, ashlar stacks. PLAN: a complex development of ranges enclosing a small court or light well; the monastic structure, mostly encapsulated within later walls, is principally a late C14 range of three bays aligned north to south on the east side; wings added in C17 on the south side at the west end and on the east side at the south end; another C19 wing added to south side of the east wing; the west and north sides extensively remodelled in C19. EXTERIOR: two storeys, cellar and attic; the north end wall of squared rubble with a large gable to left and smaller and lower gable to right; at the north-west corner the C19 arched entrance doorway is angled below moulded corbelling which supports the corner above...

view full NHLE data

Bibliography

  1. “DULVERTON HOUSE (KINGS SCHOOL).” The National Heritage List for England. Web. Accessed 8 Oct. 2013. <https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1245957>